Travelling from York to Sheffield by train
The fastest trains from York to Sheffield take around 45 minutes, covering a distance of approximately 69 kilometres. There are frequent services on the rail route between York and Sheffield.
Direct trains run between York and Sheffield.
We usually find around 32 direct trains on the route from York to Sheffield every weekday.
There are typically fewer departures at weekends, when we found around 30 departures. The duration is normally about 45 minutes, whatever time you make the journey.
On weekdays the earliest direct train to Sheffield is usually scheduled to depart York around 06:40 and the last train is around 20:45. At weekends the first train of the day leaves York around 06:20, and the last at 20:50.
Route map is indicative only and may differ from the optimal route. Actual routes will be displayed when searching.
When to book York to Sheffield train tickets?
The earlier you book the better, and the cheapest tickets we've found for trains from York to Sheffield are £5.80.
Trains departing 30 days in advance will cost around £7 while booking 7 days in advance the price is around £10. Booking on the day of travel is likely to be more expensive, so it is worth booking in advance if you can to save money.
Trains in the UK usually open for booking around 3 months in advance. If booking is not yet open for your dates then you can set a booking alert to receive an email on the day that the cheapest tickets are released for your journey from York to Sheffield by train.
Which trains operate between York and Sheffield?
More than one type of train operates on the route from York to Sheffield, so you’ll be travelling with one or more of the following rail operators:
- East Midlands Trains
- Northern Rail
- TransPennine Express
You can check which train you’ll be travelling on by looking for the train name in search results.
Other journeys to Sheffield View all journeys to Sheffield
- From Edinburgh (Waverley, city centre) from £31.50
- From Chelmsford from £26.00
- From Scarborough from £11.00
- From Southampton Central from £31.00
- From Grantham from £10.10
- From Liverpool from £8.40
- London to Brussels trains
- Reading to Bournemouth trains
- Florence to Verona trains
- Paris to Milan trains
- Glasgow to Coventry trains
- Brussels to Amsterdam trains
- Amsterdam to London trains
- Bordeaux to Marseille trains
- Milan to Florence trains
- Darlington to Birmingham trains
- Milan to Pisa trains
- London to Geneva trains
- London to Munich trains
- Barcelona to Bilbao-Abando trains
- London to Florence trains
- Lyon to Barcelona trains
- Leeds to Stevenage trains
- Milan to Trieste Centrale trains
- London to Bruges trains
- London to Nice trains
- Brussels to London trains
- Madrid to Barcelona trains
- Bilbao-Abando to Madrid trains
- Madrid to Seville trains
- Brussels to Cologne trains
- Zurich to Milan trains
- Madrid to Bilbao-Abando trains
- Munich to Venice trains
- Venice to Verona trains
- Riomaggiore to Rome trains
- London to Amsterdam trains
- London to Stuttgart trains
- Verona to Milan trains
- Milan to Bergamo trains
- Paris to Prague trains
- Milan to Rome trains
- London to Antwerp trains
- Reading to Bath Spa trains
- London to Salzburg trains
- Paris to Toulouse trains
- Plymouth to Birmingham trains
- Middlesbrough to Edinburgh (Waverley, city centre) trains
- Naples to Palermo Centrale trains
- London to Rotterdam trains
- Paris to Zurich trains
- Brussels to Rotterdam trains
- Geneva to Milan trains
- Ipswich to Norwich trains
- Grantham to York trains
- Munich to Salzburg trains
- Pisa to Bologna trains
- Brussels to Vienna trains
- London to Copenhagen trains
- Berlin to Warsaw trains
- London to Bordeaux trains
- Birmingham to High Wycombe trains
- Brussels to Berlin trains
- Milan to Bari S. Spirito trains
- Paris to Amsterdam trains
- London to Verona trains