Few visitors come to Venice without great expectations. And the great thing about Venice is that the city invariably lives up to those expectations. This is a city whose wealth and reputation were sealed by the sea (which may eventually seal the fate of the sinking city, too).
No ifs, no buts.... Venice is superb. If you have time for just one Italian city, make it Venice (Venezia in Italian). The city has a reputation for being formidably crowded, but Venice makes space for everyone. If you cut away from the main tourist trails, it’s always possible to discover quieter corners of the city. Make time for rides on vaporetti to the Lido and the islands of the lagoon.
The only railway station on Venice’s main island is Venezia Santa Lucia. To step out of Venice Santa Lucia station and see the Grand Canal makes for one of the most memorable moments of arrival in the world. Trains reach Santa Lucia over a long and rather uninspiring bridge from the mainland. Venice’s other station is called Venezia Mestre. It is on the wrong side of the bridge. Trains from major Italian cities all terminate at Venezia Santa Lucia. They include services from Naples, Rome, Florence, Bologna, Turin, Milan and Verona. Nearby cities such as Vicenza, Padua and Trieste all have direct trains to Santa Lucia.
Venice Santa Lucia is the starting point for many overnight and international services. Every evening overnight trains depart for Munich, Vienna, Paris and Rome. There is also one direct daily daytime train to each of Geneva, Munich and Vienna.
Popular train journeys to Venice
- Florence to Venice (Frecciargento or Italo) from £8.70
- London to Venice (Eurostar & TGV & Frecciabianca) from £76.60
- London to Venice (Eurostar & Thello night train) from £76.60
- Milan to Venice (Frecciabianca or Frecciarossa) from £8.00
- Munich to Venice (EuroCity) from £35.00
- Paris to Venice (Thello night train) from £30.70
- Paris to Venice (TGV & Frecciabianca) from £30.70
- Rome to Venice (Frecciarossa or Frecciargento or Italo) from £7.90
- Verona to Venice (Frecciabianca, EuroCity or Regional Train) from £7.80
- Vienna to Venice (EuroCity) from £23.50
Why use Loco2?
Built for speed
- Reserve tickets in seconds, pay when you're ready
- Save passenger and payment details for even faster checkout
By train travellers, for train travellers
Based on 12,323 reviews
Read the reviews
- Exceptional support from our team of train geeks
- Technology improvements driven by customer feedback
Never miss out on the cheapest tickets
- Get an alert as soon as booking opens
- Access all cheap fares, including special offers