Paris by train booking guides
Paris lies at the hub of France’s highly efficient rail network. Many of the country’s top-of-the-range high-speed trains (known as TGVs) begin or end their journeys in the capital. But don’t forget that France also has a marvellous network of cross-country TGV routes linking provincial centres.
Whether you are bound for the sunny shores of the Mediterranean or for the French Alps or Pyrenees, you’ll find a great choice of fast TGV trains from Paris to your eventual destination. But take time for Paris too. The so-called City of Light is one of the world’s premier destinations. Explore the city's grand boulevards and set-piece sights but also wander through the markets and side-streets of Montmartre.
For days out from the capital, comfortable regional trains will speed you to communities in the Parisian hinterland. Popular short excursions from Paris include the Palace of Versailles, Claude Monet's garden at Giverny and the Disneyland Paris complex at Marne la Vallée-Chessy. It's worth noting that Loco2's coverage does not include RER and other local trains in the Paris region. Tickets for these trains are best purchased locally.
For those keen on exploring Europe by rail, Paris is a key port-of-call. Not only does it host Eurostar services from England, but it is the starting point for other important international rail services. You can travel from Paris directly to Venice, Barcelona, Geneva, Amsterdam, Munich, Turin and Milan. There is even a direct train (called the Trans-European Express) from Paris to Moscow.
- London to Paris by train (Eurostar) - trains from £41.00
- Amsterdam to Paris by train (Thalys) - trains from £27.00
- Barcelona to Paris by train (TGV) - trains from £54.00
- Brussels to Paris by train (Thalys) - trains from £22.50
- Cologne to Paris by train (Thalys) - trains from £27.00
- Lyon to Paris by train (TGV) - trains from £23.50
- Marseille to Paris by train (TGV) - trains from £19.50
- Milan to Paris by train (TGV) - trains from £27.00
- Moscow to Paris by train (EuroNight) - trains from £170.50
- Venice to Paris (Thello night train) - trains from £26.00
Image credits: getfunky_paris