The city of Florence (Firenze in Italian) is often promoted as the most beautiful city in the most beautiful region of Italy. Experts on Tuscany all have their own preferred Tuscan hideaway, but Florence is the city which pulls the biggest crowds. Florence is busy all year round and high demand inevitably means high prices. Florence is expensive. But the city which kick-started the Renaissance certainly deserves a place on any Italian itinerary.
The main railway station is Florence Santa Maria Novella – locally called Firenze SMN. This city centre railway terminus is a showpiece example of Italian modernist architecture dating from 1934. A small number of long-distance trains through Florence do not serve Firenze SMN, but stop instead at Florence Campo di Marte or Florence Rifredi.
Florence lies on the main high-speed axis from Milan to Rome. It is the departure point for direct Trenitalia and Italo trains to Bologna, Milan and Turin (all to the north). Southbound trains on this route speed at least hourly to Rome with many trains continuing to Naples. Florence has direct night trains to Munich, Vienna and the far south of Italy. The city also is the hub of a dense network of local services with trains leaving regularly for Pisa, Lucca, Siena and Poggibonsi (for San Gimignano). Each of these four Tuscan delights makes an excellent day trip from Florence. The train journey from Florence to each of them takes just 60 to 90 minutes.
Popular train journeys to Florence
- London to Florence (Eurostar & TGV & Italo/Frecciarossa) from £90.90
- London to Florence (Eurostar & Thello night train) from £90.90
- Milan to Florence (Frecciarossa or Italo) from £8.00
- Paris to Florence (TGV & Italo/Frecciarossa) from £34.40
- Paris to Florence (Thello night train & Frecciarossa ) from £34.40
- Rome to Florence (Frecciarossa or Frecciargento or Italo) from £7.90
- Venice to Florence (Frecciargento or Italo) from £8.70
- Verona to Florence (Frecciargento or Italo) from £8.50
Why use Loco2?
Built for speed
- Reserve tickets in seconds, pay when you're ready
- Save passenger and payment details for even faster checkout
By train travellers, for train travellers
Based on 12,323 reviews
Read the reviews
- Exceptional support from our team of train geeks
- Technology improvements driven by customer feedback
Never miss out on the cheapest tickets
- Get an alert as soon as booking opens
- Access all cheap fares, including special offers
Image credits: Dan-scape