Fastest journey3hr 29m
Travelling from Sheffield to Edinburgh by train
The fastest trains from Sheffield to Edinburgh take around 3 hours and 29 minutes, covering a distance of approximately 307 kilometres. There are frequent services on the rail route between Sheffield and Edinburgh.
Direct trains run between Sheffield and Edinburgh.
We usually find around 14 direct trains on the route from Sheffield to Edinburgh every weekday.
There are typically fewer departures at weekends, when we found around 13 departures. The duration is normally about 3 hours and 29 minutes, whatever time you make the journey.
On weekdays the earliest direct train to Edinburgh is usually scheduled to depart Sheffield around 07:09 and the last train is around 19:26. At weekends the first train of the day leaves Sheffield around 07:12, and the last at 19:21.
Route map is indicative only and may differ from the optimal route. Actual routes will be displayed when searching.
When to book Sheffield to Edinburgh train tickets?
The earlier you book the better, and the cheapest tickets we've found for trains from Sheffield to Edinburgh are £17.80.
Trains departing 30 days in advance will cost around £53 while booking 7 days in advance the price is around £59. Booking on the day of travel is likely to be more expensive, so it is worth booking in advance if you can to save money.
Trains for this journey usually open for booking around 3 months in advance. If booking is not yet open for your dates then you can set a booking alert to receive an email on the day that the cheapest tickets are released for your journey from Sheffield to Edinburgh by train.
Which trains operate between Sheffield and Edinburgh?
CrossCountry is the rail operator that operates on the route from Sheffield to Edinburgh.
You can check which train you’ll be travelling on by looking for the train name in search results.
Other journeys to Edinburgh (Waverley, city centre) View all journeys to Edinburgh
- From Bradford Interchange from £42.50
- From Whitby from £23.10
- From Gloucester from £51.60
- From Peterborough from £18.30
- From Harrogate from £17.30
- From Luton from £46.50
- From Birmingham International Airport from £16.50
- From Hatfield (Herts) from £27.10
- Reading to Bournemouth trains
- London to Brussels trains
- Florence to Verona trains
- Paris to Milan trains
- Glasgow to Coventry trains
- Brussels to Amsterdam trains
- Amsterdam to London trains
- Bordeaux to Marseille trains
- Milan to Florence trains
- Darlington to Birmingham trains
- London to Geneva trains
- Milan to Pisa trains
- London to Munich trains
- Barcelona to Bilbao-Abando trains
- London to Florence trains
- Lyon to Barcelona trains
- Leeds to Stevenage trains
- Milan to Trieste Centrale trains
- London to Bruges trains
- London to Nice trains
- Brussels to London trains
- Madrid to Barcelona trains
- Madrid to Seville trains
- Bilbao-Abando to Madrid trains
- Brussels to Cologne trains
- Zurich to Milan trains
- Madrid to Bilbao-Abando trains
- Munich to Venice trains
- Riomaggiore to Rome trains
- Venice to Verona trains
- London to Amsterdam trains
- Verona to Milan trains
- London to Stuttgart trains
- Milan to Bergamo trains
- Paris to Prague trains
- Milan to Rome trains
- London to Antwerp trains
- Reading to Bath Spa trains
- Paris to Toulouse trains
- London to Salzburg trains
- Middlesbrough to Edinburgh (Waverley, city centre) trains
- Plymouth to Birmingham trains
- Naples to Palermo Centrale trains
- Brussels to Rotterdam trains
- London to Rotterdam trains
- Paris to Zurich trains
- Geneva to Milan trains
- Ipswich to Norwich trains
- Pisa to Bologna trains
- Brussels to Vienna trains
- Munich to Salzburg trains
- Grantham to York trains
- London to Copenhagen trains
- London to Bordeaux trains
- Berlin to Warsaw trains
- Birmingham to High Wycombe trains
- Brussels to Berlin trains
- Paris to Amsterdam trains
- Milan to Bari S. Spirito trains
- London to Verona trains