Get your booking gloves on! Booking opens for winter trains in France on Thursday 12 October.
We know what you're thinking - booking gloves aren't a thing! You may be right, but that doesn't change the fact that winter is coming. 😱
On Thursday (12 October) in the early hours of the morning, SNCF's winter train ticket sale gets underway. It's an opportunity to buy cheap French tickets for Christmas, New Year and the ski season. Tickets go on sale for travel until January 2018.
Quick guide to winter trains in France
- Sales open on Thursday 12 October 2017 in the very early morning (most will be available by 5-6am).
- Tickets are released for all trains within France including high-speed TGV, InterCity and seasonal services.
- International services to/from France open at the same time: TGV Lyria (France-Switzerland), TGV France-Italy, TGV Alleo (France-Germany) and Renfe-SNCF (France-Spain).
- Tickets can be booked for travel from 10 December 2017 - 12 January 2018 for journeys within France, and until 8 February 2018 for international services.
- A second batch of tickets come on sale on 7 November for travel until 12 March 2018.
|Ticket type||Travel period||Date booking opens|
|Early-bird tickets for Christmas & New Year||10/12/17 - 12/01/18||Thursday 12 October 2017|
|Peak ski trains including February half-term||07/02/18 - 12/03/18||Tuesday 7 November 2017|
Get the inside track
Thursday is a big day for trains in France, so the cheapest tickets get snapped up quickly! Cheap fares are available for every train when they open, so the sooner you book the cheaper they'll be. The following tips make it easier to secure the best fares:
- If you haven't already, search now for the trains you want and set an alert. We'll email you a one-click booking link as soon as tickets are released for your travel date (emails usually arrive between 4am-6am on the day booking opens).
- Create an account now and save your passenger details. This makes searching and booking faster.
- Add a saved payment card for even faster checkout when sales open.
Tickets in other countries
Sales like this take place every year to launch the winter timetable in Europe. Other rail operators put their tickets on sale around the same time. For instance the German rail operator, Deutsche Bahn, has announced that their winter timetable can be booked from Tuesday 17 October 2017 for travel up to 180 days (6 months) in advance.
We've published a list of Winter Timetable Changes which includes other rail operators.
Ten scenic train trips for independent travellers
Ten trips to inspire your next holiday by train - and not an escorted tour in sight. Our selection of scenic train trips for independent travellers in Europe.
Summertime, and the bookin' is easy
Extended booking is now open for summer train travel all over France until 27 August 2017!