Save the date! Booking opens for winter ticket sales in France on Thursday 13 October.
On Thursday 13 October 2016, in the early hours of the morning, SNCF's winter train ticket sale gets underway. It's an opportunity to buy cheap French tickets for Christmas, New Year and the ski season, with tickets on sale for travel until 2 February 2017.
Quick guide to the winter train ticket sale in France
- Sales open on Thursday 13 October 2016 in the very early morning (most will be available by 5-6am).
- The sale includes all trains within France including high-speed TGV, InterCity and seasonal services.
- International services to/from France open at the same time - TGV Lyria (France-Switzerland), TGV France-Italy, TGV Alleo (France-Germany) and Renfe-SNCF (France-Spain).
- Tickets can be booked for travel from 11 December 2016 - 2 February 2017 for journeys within France and until 9 February 2017 for international services.
- A second batch of tickets come on sale on Friday 4 November for travel from 3 February - 5 March 2017.
- From Tuesday 6 December, tickets can be booked 3 months in advance for travel up to 30 March 2017.
|Ticket type||Travel period||Date booking opens|
|Early-bird tickets - book for Christmas & New Year||11/12/16 - 02/02/17||Thursday 13 October 2016|
|Peak snow tickets - book for February half-term||03/02/17 - 05/03/17||Friday 4 November 2016|
|Late season tickets - book for longer daylight hours||06/03/17 - 30/03/17||From Tuesday 6 December, the usual 3 month booking horizon|
|Last chance tickets||31/03/17 - 02/04/17|
Tuesday 3 January 2017
Get on the inside track
The winter sale is a big day for trains in France, so the cheapest tickets get snapped up! Cheap fares are available for every train when they open, so the sooner you book the cheaper they'll be. The following tips will make it easier to secure the best fares:
- If you haven't already, set an alert for your intended destination and dates. We'll email you as soon as booking opens (emails start sending automatically at 4am) with a link to your search results.
- Set up an account now and enter the names and date of birth for you and your passengers. This makes searching and booking faster.
Add a saved payment card for even faster checkout when sales open.
Tickets in other countries
Sales like this take place every year to launch the winter timetable in Europe. Other rail operators put their tickets on sale around the same time, but few make it possible to book as far ahead. For instance the German rail operator, Deutsche Bahn, has announced that their winter timetable can be booked from Tuesday 18 October 2016 for travel up to 91 days in advance.
We've published a list of Winter Timetable Changes which includes other rail operators.